Topband: VS6DO

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Wed Jan 28 01:20:13 EST 2004

LA5HE remembered:

>I had the pleasure of being invited to dinner and Paul's home in H-K.
>It was interesting to see his VERY QRO home made amplifier and his
>" antenna farm " on the roof of a high rise building.  There were radials
>all over the place.
>Paul told me , that he would leave his  " CQ machine " going for quite a
>while on 160, while the qsos were far and few between.
>
>Paul was a super fellow and I wonder where in the world he is now.  He
>talked about moving to Californa or to Australia.
>Being married to a beautiful Chinese lady, he felt their children were too
>exotic looking to be happy in UK. Of course these days with people from all
>over the world settling down even in my neck of the woods, things are
>different .

By the time I arrived in the mid-80s, Paul lived in a block of flats on
(appropriately) Broadcast Drive on Kowloon-side.  His 80 & 160m antennas
at the time were inverted-vees, apex supported by a home-made 10-odd
meterfoldover mast & the ends were tied to adjacent blocks.

Immediately to the north of this location is the range of mountains which
give Kowloon it's name - Paul was adamant that one should pick a QTH by
its LP potential, not SP (takeoff was something like 20 or more degrees
over most of east to west through north at that location).

He retired from a long career in the police & his later departure from our
securities watchdog came after constant oscillations over whether to go
to UK or W6 after that - finally settling on W6.

Last seen in town on a visit at a lunch with other VS6 OTs a year or two
ago, he was doing great, though getting a little bored with W6.  I think UK
is too cold for any of us & it turns out that I've known Paul's son for years
but didn't realize it.  Nice bunch of folks & I think it's fair to say nobody
has really filled Paul's shoes on the bands since he left.

73, VR2BrettGraham