Topband: Did anyone hear/work AK

Kathy and Gary Pearse pearse at gci.net
Wed Jan 28 20:06:58 EST 2004

>>Hello from Gary NL7Y in Fairbanks, AK. the main reason, shown visually, is
this in my opinion - http://sec.noaa.gov/pmap/ - because for those of us
that live under/near the Aurora signal-sucker, propagation on all bands is
at time limited by even moderate A and K levels and resulting poor
propagation. Even my other QTH 100 miles west Fairbanks shows consistently
improved propagation (both ways) on all bands. Those further south (200-300
miles) in Alaska, including KL7Y(SK), NL7Z, and KL7J among others, usually
enjoy better propagation and often work stations we further north simply
can't depending on signal direction. It's not from lack of trying, but
sometimes there's just no chance. Locally, Rich KL7RA has fought this for
years, and will likely relocate further south in the near future to begin a
new "radio life".  Gary NL7Y

Hello Ford & Charlie,

I heard & worked Les, KL7J, in 2002...From Michigan & Minnesota it is rare,
though

Brian  K8BHZ

Charlie wrote:

> Hi  Gents,
>
> Just curious...
> Did anyone hear or work AK during the CQ160 CW?  Noticed
> that several "missed" that state....me too.
>
> 73,
> Charlie
> N0TT

Near as I can figure, AK does not do 160M.  I've been on for years and have
yet to even hear an AK on 160M in MN.  If you find somebody in AKland, send
him/her my way too.  I've worked a sweep (minus AK) several times in various
160M contests.  I've got every other state and section booked many times
over.  I've even worked a JA from here (Ok only 1).  But AK?  Nope!

Around these parts, AK is the most needed NA entity, without question.

Ford-N0FP
ford at cmgate.com