Topband: RE: Choosing between a Receiver Noise Bridge and an Antenna Bridge

George Stewart (VK5ALS) ggstew at bigpond.net.au
Thu Jan 29 17:32:56 EST 2004

Hi Topbanders,

In summarizing the result to the above posting I had in all a total of
six responses which turned out to be for me a very fruitful exercise.

1. Nobody addressed the actual question but three people suggested that
I go for broke and get the big brother the MFJ259B. Two of these people
were quite passionate about just how useful and versatile this
instrument was and put it in the must have category.

2. Another spelt out in length his experiences with different forms of
bridges and concluded by saying to buy or borrow whatever instruments
that would get me into the ball park then to use an SWR metre at the
feed point for the final settings. This was backed up by yet another
Topbander whose only comment was that he had seen towers set up by using
the SWR metre at the base.

3. The last respondent, but certainly not the least, sent me photos and
schematics of a simple admittance bridge which he built many years ago
that covers a wide range of L and C impedances. He still uses this
bridge even though now he has professional gear to do the job.

73 and good DX to you all,

George, VK5ALS