Topband: Beverage with coaxial cable

Brad Rehm brehm at ptitest.com
Wed Jul 21 18:47:52 EDT 2004

"How about a beverage made with a small coaxial cable instead of
balanced ladder line....

Jacques F6BKI

Hi Jacques!

Did just that a few years ago, since I had a few 1000 ft. rolls of 1/8
inch diameter coax.  The coax proved to be easy for the deer and wind
to break, even though my installation supported it every 50 ft.

The breaks were fairly difficult to repair, and of course, I gave up
on using  the center conductor for remote switching the first time the
coax broke.  After 5 years, I've completely replaced one Beverage.  A
second has four or five splices.  Another was built out of indoor,
6-strand, 20 Gauge telephone wire.  It's been up a year so far.  Etc.

I have more coax, but I'll use it for other things.

73,
Brad, KV5V