Topband: Antipodes Paths on Topband in focus

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Sun Mar 28 21:52:29 EST 2004

W0DX (VP2VI). Bob Dennison once tried to explain to me the phenomenon of
antipodes top band dxing  by suggesting that the beam widths of the TX
signals may converge like the lenses on a telescope especially along a
gray line antipodes path to actually enhance the level of the signal
significantly. When everything is focused properly it makes a
significant enhancement of very normally weak and most likely unreadable
signals on top band. This suggests that if the wide beam width of the
signal is transmitted equally over several paths (multiple paths and
even skewed paths at the same instance) there could be convergence and
thus enhancement could occur presuming the paths can be additive or
provide signal diversity.  However, could there not also be phase
cancellation under certain conditions and a complete absence of signal
or negative impact on the signal?

Just a thought.

73,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ