Topband: 160M "switch effect" from Uganda

Terry Wassell k3jt at westco.net
Wed Mar 31 02:29:58 EST 2004

The "on / off " switch effect was noticeable in my 160M operations from Uganda last November and December.   Openings were not very long, and would appear suddenly and end suddenly.  I did not experience any sort of "illumination" of all of North
America type effect. It seemed that signals started with QSOs from the North East and then moved West and South.    I only made 19 W / VE QSOs, and only as far West as Illinois, with my 100 Watts and a simple, poor antenna.   CQWW CW was not favorable for me to make 160M QSO's. Although I copied KV4FZ, I could not be heard.  Sunrise in Uganda was not favorable and I only found NA propagation about 20 minutes before or after 0100Z (3am local time).  Often thunderstorms would occur early morning just before sunrise.   I spent a good bit of time trying with only little success - I tried every way to pull signals from my little IC-706.  Often I could only get partial callsigns.   My final QSO on the day I had to leave was a real thrill,   A45XR answered my CQ on 1828 Kc.  After that, I had to tear down and get ready for my departure flight.   160M from Africa is a very interesting experience.  I wish I had kept more detailed reports and notes about propagation.   I'm not so sure about the "ducting" phenomena, but it makes for interesting reading and entertaining food for thought.

73,    5X1X   K3JT.

PS.  Still hoping to make the 3B9C QSO on 160M.  I have made contacts on all other bands 10 - 80 M.