Topband: Titanex V160S and tuning unit

wb6tza at socal.rr.com wb6tza at socal.rr.com
Fri Nov 5 23:57:58 EST 2004

just a quick response, see if you get more useful data from others

The wire from the antenna end taps the coil to bring the antenna to
resonance, the tap from the feedline is used to select a 50 ohm point
on the loading coil

In practice, 4-6 turns up from cold for 50 ohms, and almost the entire
length of the coil for resonance.

If you are not going to use it to change bands, you may wish to
reverse the wiring to (or eliminate)  the relays so the relaxed
position is 160 meters and not 80 meters.

I also found that the jumper between capacitor halves tends to break
away - even if you aren't using the tuning caps.  look inside and
press down a little on the center of the assembly, it will give inward
and flex the connections.

Use plenty of heat to make the solder connection- the copper in the
coil will leach away lots of heat

once you are done it will just sit there and work.

Use LOTS of radials

73

Robin, WA6CDR