Topband: B.O.G. vs. regular beverage

Larry Molitor w7iuv at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 5 16:26:43 EDT 2004

Chuck,

You need to define "perform better". Some folks want maximum "S" meter wiggle, some want F/B, and some want maximum overall S/N (RDF).

It has been my experience that a BOG will always give as good as or better than the S/N of an equal length Beverage at 10' height. Others might disagree. "S" meter folks? Don't know.

I would spool out that bare wire on the ground if it were me. The only reason I put any of mine up in the air is to keep the cattle from dragging the wire off! I have one on the ground now that I drive tractors and equipment over every day. I've never had a problem with bare wire on grass, gravel or mostly dry dirt. Wet mud may be a problem, but I've never tried to do that. I have swapped back and forth between insulated wire and bare fence wire and can't tell any difference. Don't waste good coax!

73,

Larry - W7IUV

Chuck Dietz <w5pr at swbell.net> wrote:
Of course the BOG would be the ideal solution because I have a hose reel I
can just wind it up on Sunday morning after the contest.

Will the standard 10' high beverage perform better?

Chuck W5PR