Topband: Deep QSB

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Mon Oct 11 08:35:45 EDT 2004

	I've noticed extremely deep QSB on the band for the
past week or so.  Signals will peak and then slowly decline
into the noise.  This can be maddening if you answer someone
on the downside of the peak and then never hear their reply.
This seems to be happening on both our evening path to EU
and morning path to the Pacific.  This morning it was quite
noticeable on VK9LA, and I timed the total cycle as being
about 2-3 minutes from peak to peak.  The lesson learned is to
call stations on the upside of their QSB peak so that you will
hear their reply.

	VK9LA is located about 900 miles South of Chesterfields,
so today's conditions may be a good omen.  He was hearing
extremely well, but many were calling that were not hearing his
replies, possibly because of the QSB noted above.  When the
Chesterfield guys show up, please remember the QSB cycle
if they are fading in and out of the noise.  A little patience and
some good timing will help greatly in conditions like this.  I'm
sure they will also be operating split which will make things
easier than was the case with VK9LA using simplex today.

				73 & GL!

				Bill  W4ZV