Topband: Condx in central WA

Larry Molitor w7iuv at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 6 10:12:46 EDT 2004

This morning I worked Ron, VK3IO, and Jon, DU9/N0NM. I could hear the ZL
digital stations on 18.5 and 16.5 about the same strength as I do every
morning but Ron's signal was up this morning and Jon peaked an honest 569
1/2 hour before my sunrise.

I find it interesting that the ZL digi's are not a very good indicator of
band conditions from here to VK and other areas west and north of ZL. I can
hear the digi's every morning to some degree or another. Occasionally they
peak up to s5 or s6. The VK regulars, VK3IO and VK3ZL, don't seem to have
as much variation in their signals. QRN has been my limiting factor over
the last month or so since I put up some of my seasonal RX antennas.

Another interesting thing is that the K index and aurora activity levels
don't seem to give any advance warning of band conditions however the
converse seems to be true. I can almost bet on a geomagnetic event
following within a day or so of good topband conditions!

I wish there was more activity from the Pacific area at my sunrise. The
band could support much more activity if those guys out there would give up
a little sleep! I guess I shouldn't complain. I have worked more VK's in
the last month here in WA than I had in the last five years I was in AZ!

It's a wonderful thing to finally be able to hear more than I can work! I
even heard the EA beacon station CQ'ing away the other night. That would
have never happened this time of year from my AZ QTH!

73,

Larry - W7IUV