Topband: TOP HAT GUY WIRES

R. Kline k7nj at zahav.net.il
Mon Sep 6 10:28:50 EDT 2004

Bill- Most probably it's because the connection is not really "sealed".
There are usually microscopic crevices betweeen parts where moisture vapor
can enter, and this vapor may condense into water - eventually contributing
to galvanic corosion. Albeit, some of the "peaks" in material should still
contact, but in general, the connection is prone to degradation over time.
I always tin (with solder) any copper plated wires that contact my
galvanized tower.  Solder is a good intermediate metal that is easy to apply
to copper while being much more compatible with galvanized (zinc) surfaces.
I've never connected stainless steel guys to my tower.  In any case, if you
(1) assure that the surfaces are clean, (2)seal out moisture by using
conductive grease, and (3)further protect the joint by using a
self-vulcanizing tape, etc. then you should have a reliable bond that will
last until you decide to take it apart.  I might mention that you need to be
careful in your choice of the outer protection - whether it be
self-vulcanizing tape, "liquid tape", or whatever because of long-term
exposure to ultra-violet radiation (from the sun).  Unfortunately, very
little attention is focused in amateur radio publications about material
compatibility and long-term reliability of materials and electrical bonds.
Hopefully, someday, the ARRL Antenna  Handbook will include a chapter on
this subject, and all articles on antennas will be screened to ensure that
they are in agreement with acceptable practices.

May I add, that many years ago when I lived in Southern Nevada, we mixed
aluminum and copper hardware with no problems whatsoever.  That was due to
the very dry climate that was the rule in those years.  With the growth in
population (more lawns, swimming pools, etc.), I'm quite sure that that
wouldn't be the situation today.  When I was in 4X, I soon found that my
Southern Nevada bonding practices wouldn't work over time. The point here is
that some amateurs who see the above comments will say "nonsense, I never
bother with those things, and have no problems".  That is probably true for
those who are blessed with an extremely dry climate :-)

73,
Riki, K7NJ - 4X4NJ