Topband: Propagation from central WA

Larry Molitor w7iuv at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 11 10:34:14 EDT 2004

Last night the local QRN was very high and I couldn't even hear the east
coast guys working EU. From all the cluster spots I knew that condx to EU
were good and if the pattern held, expected to have pretty poor condx for
my morning shot to the Pacific regions.

Well the pattern didn't hold. The planetary K index was low, auroral
activity was minimal and for once, at least, condx were good. At least to
parts of the Pacific.

I could not hear the ZL digi's at all this morning, nor did I ever hear any
VK's. However I did hear FK/KM9D fairly well (which I needed and worked)
and bits of 9V1GO ( which I still need, drat!). A lot of JA's were heard
calling the FK, some of which were easily 599 here.

There was little sunrise peak, if any, noted. FK may have peaked somewhat
before 9V, and JA somewhat before that, but QSB pretty well masked what
ever peak there might have been.

Interestingly, W7LR, east of me, seemed to copy 9V1GO very well and have
trouble with FK, opposite of what I experienced. I didn't hear many wet
side guys (Seattle, Portland area) calling the FK, but they were sure
hearing the 9V a lot better than me, 180 miles further east.

The JA's all went to bed when FK/KM9D QSY'd!

73,

Larry - W7IUV