Topband: Repairing beverage coax lead-in

W0UN -- John Brosnahan shr at swtexas.net
Sun Sep 12 09:55:17 EDT 2004

>A good alternative to encasing the feedline in PVC pipe or hose is to
>scrounge up some hardline. I've never had any problems with rodents
>chewing that, and it's tough enough that a horse can walk over it without
>damaging it.

Hardline is not the answer at my CO qth.  I had 100 ft sections chewed into
hundreds of little pieces by coyotes (Canis latrans).  Thought about it for a
while and decided that it provided the same entertainment that the doggie
chew toys did.  Things like a Nyl-A-Bone (think that is how it is spelled).

The coyotes must have spent hours just chewing it up into many, tiny
pieces.  And they also chewed up the 6-pair, direct-burial telephone line
that I was using for a control cable.  Of course I could have buried it but
then the pocket gophers (Geomys bursarius) chew it up.

Never did solve the problem before I moved.  Now I can't bury the cable
because of the rocks and if it is on top of the ground the cattle tear it
up.

   ;-)    Just can't win!

--John   WØUN