Topband: QRN frm hurricane "Frances" ?...and Ivan?

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Thu Sep 16 08:25:32 EDT 2004

In a message dated 9/16/04 11:53:40 AM Greenwich Standard Time,
df2py at t-online.de writes:

Question  is, do topband stations in the greater neighborhood of the
hurricane observe  significantly higher QRN, and do stations, being in North America,
locate high  noise in the hurricanes direction ?
73 de wolf (diggin` into the noise  )

Living in the lightning and hurricane capitol of America I can pass along
the following.

Contrary to common belief, the actual hurricane has very little lightning  in
it.  The outer feed bands may contain lightning, and when the hurricane  has
degraded into a tropical storm there may be an increase in thunderstorm
activity.

You are getting a taste of daily atmospheric conditions of what we
experience on 160 in Florida.  It's not too surprising that there are not a  whole lot
of 160 guys down here.

Bill K4XS