Topband: QRN frm hurricane "Frances" ?

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Thu Sep 16 10:04:56 EDT 2004

Question is, do topband stations in the greater neighborhood
of the hurricane observe significantly higher QRN, and do
stations, being in North America, locate high noise in the
hurricanes direction ?

With the storm over water, the QRN has been not especially
strong even with the storm close. I would hear only one
crash every few seconds, and not particularly strong even
when looking into the storm. Most of my QRN has been coming
from the fronts up in the central area and Midwest areas.

 I noticed a large increase this morning when the storm
moved inland. I am only guessing, but I think  this is
because lightning activity increased over land.

We get a lot more QRN activity in tornados than in
Hurricanes, at least it seems that way to me.

73 Tom