Topband: K9AY Operations

Kelley kshaddri at myclearwave.net
Sun Sep 19 22:58:37 EDT 2004

I just finished building a K9AY antenna this weekend. I used a vactrol in
place of the fixed resistor. I spent a little time this afternoon listening
to a AM broadcast station some 60 miles to the east of my QTH. Setting the
antenna to the NE, the station came in around an S7 or so on my FT-1000D.
Moving to the SW, I could adjust the vactrol so the station was in the S1 to
S2 range and I could hear another station on the same frequency that wasn't
apparent when set to the NE.

My question is, how should I set the vactrol? Once set for a band, does it
need to be adjusted?

Thanks,

Kelley - WØRK