Topband: K9AY Operations

Larry Molitor w7iuv at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 20 10:33:46 EDT 2004

Kelly,

When I was in AZ, I had a K9AY up for a while. It never worked well despite fiddling with the termination due to the elevated radials nearby. Now I have one up here in WA where I do not have elevated radials, and it works great with a fixed termination.

In my opinion, the advantages of an adjustable termination can only be realized if you are a Broadcast Band DX listener. The dynamic conditions experienced on 160 while chasing DX are hard to keep up with. If you are actually trying to work the station you are listening to, you just won't have time to fiddle with a knob.

My first suggestion would be to replace the Vactrol with the recommended fixed termination.

I would guess that you don't want to do that because of the investment you have in the Vactrol, so here's another option. Find a steady ground wave signal in the band of interest that is directly off the back of one of the loops. Adjust the Vactrol for minimum signal. Mark the control so you can return it to the same spot. Do this for each band, low BCB, high BCB-160, 80, 2.5 WWV, etc. Now you have a near optimum ternination for each band and can quickly return to that setting when you don't have time to fiddle.

good luck....

73,

Larry - W7IUV

Kelley <kshaddri at myclearwave.net> wrote:

My question is, how should I set the vactrol? Once set for a band, does it
need to be adjusted?

Thanks,

Kelley - WØRK