Topband: It's not dead yet - Boring Report

Tree tree at kkn.net
Fri Apr 1 12:07:54 EST 2005

Well, I figured things would slow down to their normal Boring state here
after the exciting event of the FT5XO QSO...  but things continue to be
interesting.

Two nights ago, I heard ZS1JX, but he didn't seem to hear me.  He did
work N6RO and K6OY around 0440 UTC.  The band was very noisy.  I heard
a few bits of I2BBJ, but not real good.

Last night, I could detect a few Europeans with Spectran, but not well
enough to copy.  I did listen for 5Z4DZ on 1833, but soon realized the
signal there was UA6LV.  This was at 0305z.  I have never heard UA6
this late in the season before.

Around 0435z, PA0CLN started coming up out of the noise and Kees and I
had a QSO.  He peaked around 0445z with a very solid 569 signal.  None
of the other Europeans really made it above the noise well enough to copy.

I do remember having some pretty solid southern European openings around
this time of year during the previous sunspot minimum.  I could sort of
hear IV3PRK on 1830 around 0415, but the AM BC carrier was stronger than
he was - so it was impossible to copy.  Perhaps in the next week or two,
there will be a chance to work Italy.

Maybe instead of taking down my beverage this weekend, I will get it
hooked up again for Europe (it was reconfigured for the FT5).  I worked
Kees using the vertical as an RX antenna.  Maybe the 5Z4 will make it
in the log.

Tree N6TR
tree at kkn.net