Topband: DU9 this morning

Jon Zaimes AA1K jz73 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 2 06:14:47 EST 2005

Set the alarm early today, and shortly after turning on the rig at 0945z there was DU9/N0NM calling CQ on 1828.3! I think this is the first time this season I have copied Jon. He was solid copy for the next 25-30 minutes, peaking 569 at times, best on the 320-degree phased Beverages (935-feet long, spaced 175 feet).

But no prize -- Jon could not copy me. (1.5 kw and 3-el parasitic array aimed NW). Our 3-year quest for this one continues.

As I found 3 years ago, when I heard Jon almost every week from September through April or May, the peak often is at his sunset rather than our sunrise. He was mostly down in the noise from 1015z through my sunrise at 1044z. But occassionally loud enough so I could copy him on the speaker in the kitchen 10 feet away while I was making coffee (slightly distracted, I made a perfect pot of hot water the first time -- forgot the coffee!).  But 0945z is a tough time for me to get awake and I haven't been there very often this season, only closer to my SR.

QRN was low this morning. Only other DX heard was ZL3IX about 10 minutes past my SR.

73/Jon AA1K