Topband: Beverage Suggestions/Comments

Phil Clements philc at texascellnet.com
Thu Dec 8 00:55:29 EST 2005

While I'm on a roll putting up a new Beverage, I would like advice and
comments from you Guru's out there. I was a city-dweller for many years, and
I now have the chance to put up as many Beverages as I need. Lots of trees
and briars to deal with, but a small price to pay.

The new Beverage is 605 feet long (ladder-line) at a height of 6 feet above
the ground. The soil here in E. TX is about one foot of top soil (fine sand)
and then clay heavily laden with bright red iron ore. There are a total of
four ground rods, three at the far end, and one at the feed point. The RG-6
is buried the first 15 feet, and then passes through a choke which has its
own ground rod 5 inches away. I can reverse direction by passing 12 volts
through the RG-6. It seems to work great; better than anything I have had up
here, but is there room for improvement?

I have plenty of room, and lots of ladder line left over. Would 800-1000
feet be that much better than 600' to make it worth the trouble? Would
raising the antenna to 8-10 feet off the ground help any?

All comments and suggestions welcomed! I don't mind doing the work if it
will make even a slight improvement.

Many thanks in advance,

Phil Clements, K5PC