Topband: QRP scoring in contests

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Sat Dec 10 16:12:20 EST 2005

In every contest I know of, which gives a higher multiplier for QRP
operation, the QRP multiplier is an all or nothing deal. You cannot use
your better judgment and switch on the PA to complete a QSO that is
requiring repeat after repeat just to get your callsign through at QRP
power level, unless you want to lose your QRP status for the entire
contest. If the QRP multiplier could be applied individually to each
QSO, or not when the QSO is completed using higher power, we could all
have more fun. One of the great advantages touted for QRP is reduction
of QRM. With the all or nothing multiplier scheme there is no incentive
for the big guns to use QRP to work a station across town, and someone
wanting to get the QRP multiplier can be really frustrating to a QRO
station who listens for weak ones. With a QRP multiplier applicable
individually to each QSO, QRP really could reduce QRM.

Some will claim it would be too difficult to log, or too easy to cheat.
I think the logging could be easily automated with a PA on/off status
input to the logging computer. As for cheating, you can't prevent it
even with our present scoring schemes.

DE N6KB