Topband: WEIRD condx last night

Charles Bibb zedkay at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 24 09:44:08 EST 2005

Hi, topbanders

All these glowing reports of amazing conditions last night have me somewhat
puzzled (and pulling my hair out).

Is there such a thing as "ANTI-searchlight" propagation? I know there was
lots of activity on the band last night. Heck, even if I hadn't had the
radio on, just from watching the packet-cluster spots the band was hot -
for most everyone EXCEPT me, that is!  It's hard to belive that DX was
rolling in for BOTH coasts, but not much for this area. Heard very few
(only one that I remember) US stations from the mid-South or lower Midwest
calling in the pileups.

I did work a few Europeans with good signals, but no new ones. But, even
then, conditions seemed only about average for a typical EU opening. Only
heard the pileups of stations calling VQ9LA, EU1AB, 5B4AGM, 9H1ZA, etc. -
never heard the actual DX. And when I saw the spots for TR8CA, I excitedly
switched over to the east Beverage, thinking I might work a new one - but
heard nary a peep.  Thought you guys were making that one up! I can usually
hear Africa when I can't hear Europe.

Did any one else in 5- or 4-land notice the same condx as I did?

Charles - K5ZK