Topband: Butternut HF2V

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Tue Feb 1 21:54:30 EST 2005

The HF2V works as well as can be expected for a short vertical
with base loading.  If on the ground, you really need a decent radial
system.  Ground clutter also takes a bite out of things.

Get it up off the ground, put a couple of reasonant radials under
it & add a little top loading & it will play much better.  The top
If you have easy access to it, then short the 160m kit out when
not on 160.  Have another flying lead ready to short out part of
the 80m coil if one wishes to venture up on 75.

If you don't have the space to put up a "proper" antenna, then
the trick is to pay attention to these little details in order to
make any shortened vertical play like it can.  I thought the
HF2V to be somewhat Mickey Mouse, but even if I didn't live
in an apartment it would still be my first choice if I had no
towers, trees or anything else to work with.  Mine would be
up now if there was enough space to squeeze it in on the roof.

73, VR2BrettGraham