Topband: CQ 160M CW Contest As Seen at S9SS

charles Lewis s9ss160m at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 07:07:14 EST 2005

De S9SS

Since I am such an "alligator" I mostly just do a little S&P in 160M contests when I can hear anything at all.  My noise was down slightly during this contest, and I logged 59 stations.  I was only on doing S&P from 0000 to 0230 on the 29th and 2130 to 0230 on the 29th/30th.

I heard no North American stations at all during the first period; however, at 0012 on the 30th I found K9DX just peaking above my noise and was able to work him after a few calls.  After working K9DX, I began to concentrate on scanning only for North Americans. I did not hear another North American until 0103, but I was still hearing K9DX on every scan of the band!  At 0103 I heard and worked after several calls K1TTT.  From that time until 0138, I worked a few more USA stations.  After that, I heard no additional North Americans.  The most persistent signal from the USA was that of K9DX.  I continued to hear K9DX on every sweep of the band until I quit at 0230.  During both periods of operation I could not detect any others besides those I worked of the North American stations that I heard the Europeans working.

Hands down, the persistently most outstanding signal here during contest was that of UU7J.  He was nearly always many db louder than any other signals, and I never head another one stronger at any time.  His signal was so very outstanding that I was led to wonder if he might be using a lot more power than anyone else.

I was hearing best on my "T" transmitting antenna for a change.  The pennant was so poor by comparison that I think I need to give it a really thorough checkout.

Due to my alligator status, I was able to work nearly every station I could copy during the contest.  I did encounter, though, two Europeans that seemed to be even more deaf than I am, or perhaps they were using a highly directional receiving antenna that was pointed away from me.  On the other hand, maybe they just had too much QRM on their frequency.  I was able to work all the Americans that I heard.

Here's the complete list of USA stations I logged.  I wish I could have done more, but rest assured that I gave it my best shot.

K9DX  01-30-05    00:12      1.8      CW      599

K1TTT 01-30-05    01:03      1.8      CW      599

KC1XX 01-30-05    01:06      1.8      CW      599

KT1V  01-30-05    01:09      1.8      CW      599

NA5NM 01-30-05    01:29      1.8      CW      599

KK9K  01-30-05    01:32      1.8      CW      599

N9CK  01-30-05    01:38      1.8      CW      599

73,

Charles Lewis - S9SS

http://groups.msn.com/s9ss