Topband: Working KV4FZ and KP2ZZ

Robert Kavanagh ve3osz at rac.ca
Wed Feb 2 11:28:40 EST 2005

I wonder whether others have had similar experiences in having great
difficulty working certain stations.

In my case, for the past several years I have had real problems trying to
work Herb, KV4FZ. I call and call without success. Eventually Herb may hear
me but with obvious difficulty at his end. I had the same experience in the
CQ 160 with KP2ZZ at Herb's station. I finally worked him but it took many
many calls.

Now, I'm not a big gun by any means. I run 100 watts to a rather low
inverted L. But I can usually work other Caribbean stations without undue
difficulty. I have come to the conclusion that Herb's Beverages have a null
in my direction and that my inverted L has a null in his direction. I'm
sure that Herb's ears are just as effective as those of others.

I find that, on the contrary, some DX stations seem to be able to hear me
at almost any time. ON4WW and G3PGA come to mind. And VK6HD heard me in the
pile up in the contest. So, these people must have receiving antennas which
have lobes which line up with the pattern of my inverted L.

It is interesting that it is so easy to work some stations and so difficult
to work others. But, that's 160 for you !

Bob
VE3OSZ