Topband: W5SUS on air again

Stan Stockton stan at aqity.org
Sat Feb 5 23:14:56 EST 2005

Those who have been active on 160M for 20-30 years or more may be
interested in this.  Others may just want to skip it.

Hopefully if nothing has gone wrong in the last few days, John, W5SUS, is
on the air.  He had told me in December that he expected to be on the air
by mid January.  I called this past Monday to see what the situation was
and the lady who stays with him said that he had sent his rig off to be
repaired and they had returned it saying there was nothing wrong.  She said
he had been working night and day to try to make it work with no results.

For those who don't know, John is 95 years old, originally licensed as
W9GDH, then W0GDH before retiring to Arkansas about 35 years ago and
obtaining W5SUS.  I have known him for that length of time and he is the
one who got me interested in working 160M around 1970.  He obtained DXCC
#23 on 160M from Arkansas in 1982 and now lives in Florida in a highly
antenna-restricted retirement village near New Port Richey.

On Tuesday morning I flew to Tampa to see if I could help, stayed until
Thursday morning and got him on the air.  If the place does not make him
take it down (they threw an absolute fit when they saw what I started to
do) he has a fiberglass pole bracketed to the back of his aluminum- sided
house with a wire taped to the pole and then connected to the base of an
old WA0RFF loading coil with a few feet of aluminum tubing above that.  The
total height is probably 30 feet and exceeds by about 10 feet or more  what
they told me I could do which was only 5 feet above the
roofline.  Unfortunately the ground system only consists of a single 8 foot
ground rod that I drove in the ground with a small carpenter's
hammer.  (Where my station is you could not drive one in 4 feet with a
sledge hammer)

I told him I would attempt to work him at 7:00PM EST on Sunday evening on
1829.  He only has about 100W at best to this inefficient antenna but
hopefully we will be able to work and hopefully some of the people who have
known John over the years will give him a call when they hear him to keep
his interest.

I went to sleep on the couch in the other room on Wednesday night about
midnight with a smile on my face as I listened to the sound of his hearing
aid whistle and the familiar thump of his straight key pounding out his
callsign as he put out a call.  He told me the next morning that he had
heard Sweden and CT3!

Stan, K5GO