Topband: "growler" follow-up

N1BUG paul at n1bug.net
Sun Feb 6 08:42:32 EST 2005

There was considerable interest in this so I'm posting  a
follow-up.  Apologies for not replying individually -- more
than 50 messages on this subject.  ALL greatly appreciated,
both from fellow sufferers and those with suggestions!

---

Suggestions:

CATV box.  Try turning it off and see if noise goes away.  A
U-shaped aluminum cage around the TV, bottom center
grounded to TV ground helped in at least one case.

CATV leakage was mentioned in several replies.  Try walking
around with a portable SW receiver tuned to the offending
noise frequency.  (Q: CATV crud at 1.8 MHz?  Oscillating
CATV line amplifiers, complex mixing products or ??)

FAX machine, esp. Sharp UX-510.

Navigational / distance measuring buoys (Long Beach Harbor)

Furnace control unit (switching control panel on the furnace
itself)

Touch lamps

When testing for noise in your own house, don't forget
battery-operated devices! (smoke detectors, etc.)  Also
UNPLUG things, don't just turn them off.  Many devices are
not completely OFF when turned off.

Laptop (whenever plugged in -- suspect something in its
charging circuit)

Computer power supplies (and power supplies in general).
CorCom 3VQ1 EMI Filters have cured it for some.

Battery chargers of any type

Broadcast spur

---

It seems a lot of things can "growl" on top band!  Mine
isn't coming from my own house.  I shut off power to the
entire house, removed batteries from all devices that use
them, and powered my receiver with a battery.  No change.
I disconnected and terminated the CATV feed outside the
house.  No change (obviously this does not rule out CATV
leakage however).

I will see if I can borrow a portable SW receiver and go
hunting.  Meanwhile I hope to be putting up some receive
antennas soon -- maybe that will help (although this crud
is very strong).

Again THANKS to all.  Good luck to all who have similar
problems!

73,
Paul