Topband: Top Loading of Shunt-fed Tower

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Thu Feb 10 07:34:37 EST 2005

At VR2BG, a 5m roof tower with 3m of mast topped by a SteppIR
dipole is used as a vertical on 80 & 160 against a few elevated
radials (only one close to reasonance on 160).

The feeder to the dipole is choked by coiling it, though with all
the feeders at the base of the tower, I have far less feeder to
form a choke with than I should have.

I see a little more shift on 160 when running the SteppIR in &
out now that I series feed the tower instead of shunt feeding
it, but between the short roof tower & just a SteppIR dipole at
the top, I would gladly have a go at force feeding a typical ground
mounted tower topped with a SteppIR beam of some sort.

73 & HLNY, VR2BrettGraham