Topband: Toploading of shunt fed tower

Jarda Semotan ok1rd at sxg.cz
Thu Feb 10 09:44:45 EST 2005

Let me take a share in discussion the toploading of shut fed towers.
I am using currently shunt fed tower 27m high top loaded by the biggest Mosley`s antenna PRO96S-30. All works excellently for several years and accepts " full " power. I measured this system and found that my 160m TX antenna ( used for TXing only ) is 130 degrees electrically long.
Nevertheless I have ordered in Fluidmotion Antennas  ( in touch Mike ) a
MonstIR antenna to test and compare parameters both antennas in practice.
I am trying to find answer to the same question if shunt fed tower with a new MonstIR on a top could be tuned by SteppIR system and mainly if MonstIR  withstand the high power of 1,8MHz frequency. The weakness what I foresee is BALUN  matching but I guess that decoupling trap tuned into 160m band could help.
I will invite any know-how which this problems are concerned.

 73  Jarda, OK1RD