Topband: Re: S-meter

Jeff Maass jmaass at columbus.rr.com
Sat Jan 8 13:26:10 EST 2005

G'day Herb:

I wasn't specific enough!

I was replying to the comment that Ian made:
  "My big wish is that we'd always do the
   S meter reality check..... I want to know
   just how strong my signals are... not an
   ego boost!".

I don't think the S-meter is of any value whatever
in telling him how strong his signal is at the
receiving station (unless as a relative test in
the short term, an "A - B" test).

Telling Ian that he's S3 on my meter tells him
nothing of value (even if I have the best-calibrated
S-meter possible), as he doesn't know anything about
my antennas or how I'm using them.

Of course, I also use my night-to-night S-meter
readings to judge the conditions of the local
QRN and judge whether I'm likely to be able to
hear that night, and to compare and judge receiving
antennas over time, or compared to other antennas.

I don't get to eat tropical static more than a few
weeks a year, but I'm looking forward to another
tasty meal in a couple of weeks from Curacao as
PJ2T in the CQ 160 CW Contest (and for a week before
the contest)!

73,

Jeff Maass  K8ND