Topband: 599

Bob Eldridge r.c.eldridge at ieee.org
Sun Jan 9 23:28:53 EST 2005

>This afternoon I got really p***** off when a UA station about 2000 miles
>away (and it was 2 hours before sunset) gave me 599 and then asked me to
>repeat name and qth!!   My CW's not that bad, and if it was that the
>report should have been 299.

But what if you were perfectly readable, but the UA's English was as
minimal as our Russian? I just noticed that the editor of QST in January
1930 suggested we need an abbreviation to mean "I hear you perfectly, but I
haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about."
The R5 is for readability, not for comprehension or operator copying skill.

Bob VE7BS