Topband: Experiences with inverted L

ersmar@comcast.net ersmar at comcast.net
Wed Jun 1 23:43:49 EDT 2005

Evan:

     My first Topband antenna, in 1997, was just such an Inverted L.  I ran it in the ARRL 160M 'test that year with only two radials and had a blast.  It wasn't a barn-burner, but then I was running my Drake barefoot at 150 W.  I was able to work 49 states with it (need KL7!)

     Since that first season I have added about a half-mile of scrap-wire radials in the side and back yards.  I suppose that helped but I don't have any quantitative results on it.  I've worked some European and Caribbean DX with it over the years.  I took it down in 2003 after I built a 64-foot tower in the back yard and shunt-fed it.  That tower was (and is) about 5-10 dB louder (no foolin') than the L, both on 160M and on 80M with a tuner.

     But for a first-time, low-cost skyhook for Topband the L can't be beat, IMHO.  Just be careful in the trees!

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F