Topband: Top-band Prop along grayline

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Sat Mar 12 01:36:00 EST 2005

Earl W Cunningham wrote:

>I've always felt that "short path" and "long path" are exactly
>that, and that anything in between is "skewed path".  No terms like
>"geomagnetic" or "twilight" skew should should be used to muddy it up
>unless one is discussing a scientific investigation about the subject.

But Earl and Tom......I am plotting out a path to VK6HD and we are
almost at antipodes. (Every path is a direct path would it not be for
day and night impacting and effecting the propagation.) Accordingly,
would there not be a multitude of path possibilities driven by gray line
and geomag skew?  My path plotter show VK6HD directly over the south
Pole at 180 degrees true bearing. As they say in Maine "you can't get
there from here" not over that polar suck out zone.  There must be other
paths that are "sort of direct" but not exactly and with no exactitude
to the precise cartographic bearing.  How about the term the "best
path"?  I know it isn't science but it is, as Captain Kirk's long eared
buddy use to say, " its logical."

73

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ