Topband: Top-band Prop along grayline

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Sat Mar 12 07:25:45 EST 2005

K6SE wrote:
 >The (ARRL Antenna book) text stated that long path was 180 degrees from
short path.

         Well this changes everything.  If the ARRL said it, it must be true.
What tolerance is there on the 180 degrees?  Is that to the nearest
0.1 degree?  I've used a little less resolution in my definitions and
called <90 degrees "skew" and >90 degrees "long".

         Someone please ask the W6 80m sunrise gang to stop calling
"CQ DX Long Path" and start using "CQ DX Skew Path".  If they don't
they are just a bunch of used car salesmen.  K1ZZ will have to wash
their mouths with soap before administering both the Wouff Hong and
Rettysnitch personally himself.

         I just hope "CQ SP" on CW doesn't confuse anyone since it could
mean CQ Short Path, CQ Poland, CQ Sprint or CQ Stew Perry.  K6UA,
W6KW and W6RJ will have to delete the tens of thousands of LP QSO's
they've made over the past 40 years calling "CQ Long Path" (unless they
can certify all bearings were exactly 180.0 degrees.  And someone also
needs to contact N6BT at Force 12 and have them strike the term "long
path" from their website unless they are prepared to certify all QSO's
were made at exactly 180.0 degrees:

"Each 2 element parasitic array is aimed exactly at 210 degrees (true, not
magnetic).  Thanks to perhaps the most knowledgeable person on this path,
Bob, W6RJ for verifying this exact direction for the majority of long path
openings."

http://force12inc.com/PCSDAT-002.htm

         Thanks for a good laugh guys!

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV