Topband: Top-band Prop along grayline

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Sat Mar 12 08:22:06 EST 2005

> K6SE wrote:
>  >The (ARRL Antenna book) text stated that long path was
180 degrees from
> short path.
>
> What tolerance is there on the 180 degrees?  Is that to
the nearest
> 0.1 degree?  I've used a little less resolution in my
definitions and
> called <90 degrees "skew" and >90 degrees "long".
>
>          Someone please ask the W6 80m sunrise gang to
stop calling
> "CQ DX Long Path" and start using "CQ DX Skew Path".  If
they don't
> they are just a bunch of used car salesmen.  K1ZZ will
have to wash
> their mouths with soap before administering both the Wouff
Hong and
> Rettysnitch personally himself.

I don't understand the sarcasm Bill!

This morning I when I worked VK3ZL he was via NW path. It
wasn't LP. Same when I work a JA via SW path.

Had I worked him at my sunset in a generally east direction,
it would have been LP. If it was a JA at my sunset, it would
be worthy of being called longpath.

When a W6 is working western Europe by a generally westerly
path, it is certainly worthy of being called longpath.

> Well this changes everything.  If the ARRL said it, it
must be true.

I may be mistaken, but the justification I hear used for
calling a skew path longpath is a couple W1 stations started
doing it. Why is that meaningful compared to a peer reviewed
text or common sense?

73 Tom