Topband: Top Ten Reasons for Self-Spotting on Top Band

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Sun Nov 13 13:59:47 EST 2005

Last place I thought I would see folks justifying self-spotting
is here.

Few posts there where I can't figure out the logic behind the
thinking...

And where there is some logic to self-spotting, seems there
is a bit more to it than just doing it - kinda like how K3ZO
never asks if a frequency is in use.

Bit of a difference between some of the examples given as
potentially acceptable uses of self-spotting as compared
to what I observe going on, or what kicked off this thread
(what looked to be a QSO that may not have been a QSO
without the assistance of spotting to replace the radio as
what we make the QSO with).

Those with less-than-optimum judgement will not see
anything other than the self-spotting going on & that makes
it okay.

Here its an offense to have defective turn signals, but not an
offense to not use them.  Those who drive please think
about next time what it would be like if all everyone around
you changed lanes without signalling.  Yes, there are times
when not signalling isn't so bad, but that doesn't change the
fact that in general drivers signal their intentions with things
like turn signals & to not use them or to use the hazard
lights instead will soon become the norm if in the absence
of being made to signal, nobody sets an example for others
to follow.

73, VR2BrettGraham