Topband: DRM

Lawrence Stoskopf stoskopf at tri.net
Wed Nov 16 15:24:08 EST 2005

Going to double post this to contesting.com:

I subscribed to the British ShortWaveMagazine when Wilson was doing the
excellent rig reviews and the sub hasn't run out:

In a short note on p. 12 of the Nov05 issue:

"..... www.drmradio.co.uk  ... This site .... highlights that in order for
DRM to provide near f.m quality it will actually require 18 kHz bandwidth
rather than the 9 kHz often quoted.  This will inevitablyh lead to pressure
to increase the spectrum allocated to broadcast services.

    This could come about through an expansion of upper limit of the Medium
Wave band from 1611 to 1790kHz and increases in the s.w. Broadcast Bands.
Such developments will make it harder for Radio Amateurs to achieve a
7000-7300kHz world-wide allocation.  If the Medium Wave band was extended to
1790KHz it could impact on Amateur 1.8MHz away at 1810 (sic.)."

Not sure of the sidelobes of DRM, but we might think the Dragon is benign.

Plus all of those emergency radios, solar, crank, etc. will be useless and a
razor blade radio won't do much with digital!!!!!!!

N0UU