Topband: Top Loaded "T" Vertical Vs. Inverted "L"

Dennis Ashworth K7FL at ARRL.NET
Sun Oct 9 20:20:52 EDT 2005

Ed,

You raise an interesting question. I use a Tee with 70 feet vertical,
and the top is 185 feet. I decided on the Tee vs. inverted L after
modeling both on EZNEC. The horizontal pattern on the Tee was cleaner
than the inverted L, but the dB or two of difference didn't seem
significant. I doubt there's much difference in noise pickup between
a Tee and inverted L. What I liked about the Tee was the ability to
use it as a flat-top on 160M giving both low angle and high angle
response with the flip of a switch (as you describe below). It was my
summer project to install the open wire lined and matching network,
something I failed to complete. It's still on the drawing board so
I'm interesting in your responses. But to me, it's less about a Tee
vs. inverted L, and more about the configuration which permits
another 160M solution without more wire. You know what they say, you
can't have too many antenna solutions on Topband.

Cheers,
Dennis, K7FL