Topband: RFI problem

Gary Nichols kd9sv at comcast.net
Mon Oct 10 12:10:29 EDT 2005

This past summer I had my house resided with Vinyl, replacing the old
aluminun siding.  In doing so the matching of my shunt-fed-tower which is
located at the gable end of the house and about two feet away from the house
changed enough that I had to add an Omega shunt capacitor to bring the
impedance back to 50 ohms.
	Also I had replaced my old reliable Corsair II with an Icom 746pro.  Today
I tried my 8877 amplifier which has not been turned on since the Vinyl
siding had been installed and to my surprise the radio would remain keyed
when the key was released. This was due to increased RF in the shack from
losing the "shielding effect" of the aluminun siding.  The solution was a
couple of turns through a FT140-J toroid to get the RF off the keying lines
from the keyer to the IC746pro.

	I just bring this to the reflector in case anybody else has had the same
experience.

Gary, kd9sv