Topband: Grounded Tower

Jim Jarvis jimjarvis at verizon.net
Fri Aug 4 12:26:35 EDT 2006

Quoth N9RF:

"I would opt for a known performer -- the shunt-fed tower with in/on
ground radials.  Regardless of claims that 4 elevetaed radials
outperforms many on/in ground radials, the opposite has been proven by
field strength measurements."

I disagree.  There is data to the contrary...that is, that a few elevated
radials work better than an insufficient on/in ground system.  I am sure
this
depends on the conductivity of the earth involved, to some degree.

At the same time, I would favor in-ground on the basis of aesthetics.  If
you can get in 12-24 radials, even of varying lengths, you'll be better off.
If not, then you should consider flying 4 radials @ 10' or so up.

On the topic of eliminating coupling between the tower and a k9ay loop which
is only .6 lambda away?  Only way to decouple is to ACTIVELY do so...that
is, to
use a relay to switch in (or out) tuning components for the tower which
would
result in it being resonant well away from 1.830.

n2ea
jimjarvis at ieee.org