Topband: Short Vertical

doktorij at bellsouth.net doktorij at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 8 13:50:41 EDT 2006

Hello Folks,

I'm getting close to reworking my Top Band Vertical in the next few weeks. I'd like to make it a bit better than it was last year.

The current antenna is tapered from 2.5" to 0.5", about 70' tall with a 30" diameter tophat, base loaded.

I have several "easy" options:
1) Stick with the current antenna, but move the loading coil to, at least, 60'.
2) Convert it to an inverted L.
3) Build a 30" diameter 4 wire cage around the the current antenna to about 60' and make a somewhat droopy 12' diameter 4 pole top hat and add a 12 to 16' stinger above that point with an L network at the bottom.

"hard" option:

4) I have 80 feet of 5" aluminum flanged mast (from some government antenna in Virginia), nice stuff, but not sure how to get all of it vertical, then use a 12' top hat/stinger combo and L network...

I'd like to make a Marconi or Tee of what I have, but I don't have supports for the top hat in a line where the antenna is located, even if angled down towards the ground.

I'm leaning towards option 3. Why 30" diameter? I have some niced used silver plated vacuum flange gaskets that are that diameter as forms. I may be able to get as much as 70' in the 2.5 to 2" diameter range before I'd have to drop down in size. Am I better off with an inductor and stinger versus a small diameter top hat and stinger?

Maybe I'm missing the boat and an inverted L is the best option...

Any thoughts?

73,
Julius
n2wn