Topband: Computerized Contest Logging

EP Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Wed Dec 27 14:55:22 EST 2006

Good Day All,

I'm curious as to the "...general feeling" of any & all active & sem-active contestors who might be reading this, regarding the matter of computerized logging...

Specifically, does EVERY single contestor in existance to-day have a computer hooked-up to his rig to perform real-time logging & automatic QSO responses...? Is there anyone left out there (like me) who still does it the old-fashioned way, i.e.  with paper & pen...?

I must say, I really tried hard to step into the 21st century this past week, by playing around with both the N1MM and the EI5DI software --- but I give up! All I ever wanted was a simple, after-contest key stroke programme that might enable me to submit my logs electronically to the different sponsors (my transceivers do NOT interface with computers --- sorry!), but what I got instead were pages & pages of documentation that didn't even begin to explain to a computer illiterate lout like myself just how one might go about creating an e-mail ready attachment for electronic mailing!

I guess I'll never be comfortable with all of the nuances & apparent "tribal knowledge" that accompany computer-speak --- never was, never ever even wanted to be, either.

Anyway, not that any of my small submissions would amount to a hill of beans in the final scheme of things, but if contest sponsors are truly annoyed by the likes of folks like me who are limited to lead & papyrus at the end of contest weekends, then I guess the time has finally come for me to maybe just enjoy the fun of participating, but to not offer my support with a snail-mailed submission...

Am I the last of the dinosaurs in this way, or are there others out there like me...?

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ