Topband: FairRite Products 2873000202

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Sat Feb 4 17:31:10 EST 2006

>          Tom, I used #26 enamel for a few of my
> earliest transformers (I use insulated wire now).
> I always QA checked the impedance ratio with an
> analyzer like the MFJ-259B or AEA HF-CIA with
> a 470 ohm across the Beverage terminals.

A short shows as a very noticeable impedance error. What you
might do is test the transformer while wiggling the core and
winding gently, and if it is all OK give it a shot of
Krylon.

I use double insulated enamel wire or Teflon insulated wire
wrap wire.

The only problem with static discharges is melting the wire.
I've never found one shorted without the core or wire being
shot.

73 Tom