Topband: Working a rare one....again

Charles Bibb zedkay at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 10 17:14:32 EST 2006

At 12:13 PM 2/10/2006, you wrote:
>There was a string going on about how frustrating it was to hear a new one
>and then hear others call and say "great to hear you again".
>
>K5ZK said, "However, if some of the guys who'd already worked a UA0 hadn't
>coaxed Vlad out of the shadows with their CD DX's, he might not have known
>how wide open the band was this morning. He worked several of the usual
>big-signal denizens of the band before setting up his own lemonade stand."
>
>True but this is not what was being talked about. Its one thing to shake the
>DX loose (which everyone appreciates). Its another to join the ongoing pile
>up to "work them again". Sure it's a hobby and everyone is free to work
>whomever whenever they want but perhaps it would also be a fine idea to
>remember when you were the new guy needing everyone.....and stand by when
>others are calling. Let the new guys/ smaller stations put a new one in the
>log.

I agree with your sentiment, but also consider this:

Just about one year ago, I became very frustrated at not being able to hear
the FT5XO DXpedition on topband. So, I resolved to light a candle rather
than curse the darkness. To that end I planned and, throughout the Spring,
Summer and early Fall, executed big station improvements. These included
building and installing new Beverages and feedline switching relays,
installing more radials under the TX antenna, etc. Burying PVC conduit for
feedlines and installing ground radials is a LOT of work. In total I spent
over $1000 on parts and supplies, and expended several times that value in
my own labor. The project consumed nearly all of my off-work time for seven
whole months. The results have been worth it, though. So far this season
I've put 24 new ones in the log, but there are a few I still cannot hear -
like VQ9LA. I'd gladly spend twice my original capital outlay to get the
power company to clean up their terribly noisy lines around here!

Anyway, here's my point:  I've done all this work and spent all this money
to improve my station capabilities on topband. So, as I understand the
complaint being made, I'm now supposed to sit back and not work any DXCC
entities that I have worked previously, in order to give the guys who have
NOT done the work and NOT suffered the expense - a break. Is that it?
Having made the improvements, I'm not supposed to use them? FAT CHANCE.

If you want to work DX on topband, you have to pay your dues.  As is often
quoted here - there is no free lunch.

I'm reminded of the lilies of the field...

73,
Charles - K5ZK