Topband: New guy here. Low noise rx antenna for 1/2 acre lot?

K9AY k9ay at k9ay.com
Wed Jan 4 13:32:27 EST 2006

Subject: Topband: New guy here. Low noise rx antenna for 1/2 acre lot?

 I dont really care what the strength of the signals are with the antenna or
its directivity - I just want a QUIETER antenna! I can use the preamp to
bring the level back up. I would prefer something omni-directional so I can
hear stations equally well in all directions, and that also makes installing
it easier as well - no vertical elements to phase (plus I dont have the
space for phased elements).

>  Steve, KC8QVO
____

Steve,

As W8JI and others have pointed out often -- antennas can only lower the
noise through directivity. "Omnidirectional" and "lower noise" are mutually
exclusive!

The first task is to identify the nature of your noise -- is it local or
propagated? From what directions? Then you can figure out what noises to
track down and/or what kind of pattern will work best in a directional
antenna -- e.g. a single deep null, two nulls, front-to-back or
front-to-side, etc.

Note that a large number of local noise sources can seem to be from
"everywhere," raising your noise floor and limiting the improvement (based
on my personal experience in suburbia!).

73, Gary
K9AY