Topband: New guy here. Low noise rx antenna for 1/2 acre lot?

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Jan 4 14:25:28 EST 2006

K9AY wrote:
>> As W8JI and others have pointed out often -- antennas can only lower the
> noise through directivity. "Omnidirectional" and "lower noise" are
> mutually
> exclusive!

Generally true, but on the other hand, I frequently can hear as
well or almost as well on 160m using a 40m inverted vee (basically
omnidirectional) compared to a VERY directional Beverage.  I am
assuming this is a polarization phenomenon.  BTW, this is not
a "lucky" inverted vee.  Other inverted vees at different heights,
orientations, locations, etc are nearly indistinguishable from this one.

Also, I can put up a simple loop, again basically omnidirectional,
and orient it in a certain direction and null out power line
noise.  I can move this loop 1/4 mile and still null out power
line noise, so again, it is not a "lucky" loop or a "lucky"
location (which is not to say those don't exist).

Last weekend I was listening to JA's on 160m on a 20 foot high
80 meter dipole.  Again basically omnidirectional, but it was
close to the beverage in performance, at least that day for those
stations.

Rick N6RK