Topband: HV Power-Line Insulators for Vertical's

Dick and Adele Bingham binghamstehekin at starband.net
Tue Jun 27 14:59:57 EDT 2006

Regarding ===>

"At 08:41 PM 6/26/06, Robert Seymour wrote:
>Needed - Base insulator Information for upgrading my low ban
vertical.  I checked the archives and found references to Antenna
Mart but the owner passed away so that source is no longer
available.

I have used old power line insulators. They will hold a whole
tower. Pix of the 160m driven element here under "towers.":
www.aa1k.us. I have four towers using similar insulators. One set
had been lightning arrestors and I removed the carbon guts before
installing.

73/Jon AA1K "

I agree with Jon regarding powerline insulators being useful for
"base-insulators".
My local power company has a junk box into which insulators and
other
hardware no longer suitable for HV distribution service are
discarded.

Go to your local power company maint-yard and ask if you can sort
thru what
they will be throwing out - if they allow it, you will probably
be pleasantly
surprised with what is available. I will look in "our" box and
see if anything worth
using is available and take a picture in case Robert Seymour is
interested.

BTW, I have somewhere between 2 and 4 dozen Gladding
egg-insulators and a
whole bunch of guy assy's that use 3/8" EHS galvanized strand,
preforms and
the Gladding eggs previously used for three 118-foot Rohn-25
towers. I will not
be using them in this lifetime and can make someone local to
CN98pi environs
(Chelan/Wenatchee WA-area) a good deal!

73 - Dick - w7wkr - CN98pi
Stehekin, WA