Topband: Relays in *TX* array

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Thu Mar 23 06:52:06 EST 2006

> QUESTION: What sort of relay to scrounge/purchase? There's
a hamfest
> happening this weekend I may be able to attend, so any
quick, *specific*
> response is appreciated.

The main consideration is relay speed. If the relay is
switching or contacts still bouncing while RF is coming out,
you are in trouble!
I'm not sure what the relay timing is now in the Orion.

Other than that almost any standard ~10 ampere relay would
work. I'd try to pick a small relay with large contacts, and
a relay with large movable contact wires or a direct
armature connection. Something like a KA or KU/KUP  series
P&B would work.