Topband: FM-sounding 160-Intruder Signal

dick bingham dick-bingham at hughes.net
Tue Nov 7 14:15:00 EST 2006

Regarding Eddy's comments ===>

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 06:24:44 -0500
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar at durham.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: BC Station
To: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv at hotmail.com>, <topband at contesting.com>

On 5th November Don wrote...

> I heard a BC station somewhere in the vicinity of that frequency last
night.
>   It was very unstable with a rough note, and the modulation sounded
> more like FM than AM.  A parasitic maybe?

I'm hearing it up here in the Great White North, too (70 miles due north of
Buffalo, NY, 50 miles east of Toronto)...it seems to promptly disappear at
sunrise, too, like the station engineer has switched to a different power
level / different transmitter...

...And yes, it really IS rough-sounding!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ
===================================
Two nights ago I, too, heard the unstable FM'y-sounding BC (?) station here
in WA-State (CN98pi). It was not too strong but way above my noise-floor. I
wonder if it might be a mixing product between co-located FM and AM
stations?

As an aside, I am trying to track down an "intruder" on ~3.852MHz that
appears to be a mixing product between stations transmitting on ~2.725MHz
and ~3.287Mhz ( 2*3.287 - 1*2.725 = ~3.852) All of the individual signal
characteristics appear on the 'intruder-sig'. Both of the primary signals
are _very_ strong in the NW-WA region.

73 - Dick - w7wkr - CN98pi