Topband: Trying to get back on Top Band - Compact antennas?

steve d kc8qvo at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 19 23:03:47 EST 2006

I have been trying to get on top band again. I got my screwdriver antenna back from repairs last week and have been running QRP on 40 and 80 with some success. However, the antenna is not specified as running on 160. A couple years ago I was able to run 160 by adding a long piece of wire to the tip of the whip. Thats how I made my first 160 contact (and, the guy was 5 miles from me so I guess I cant really count it HIHI).

  I recently bought a 108" CB whip and tried that at first last week to see if that would get me on 160 (the stock whip is 72"), That didnt work so I tried adding as long of a wire to the whip as I could (I think its about 15 feet) and that didnt work either. Ill try and run a longer wire here and see what happens. I cant remember the length of the wire I used before when I was able to tune up on 160.

  On a different note, and I realize that everyone on this list is probably cringing on my attempts to get back on the band HIHI, I am curious to know what everyone thinks about Isotron antennas. I have read some pretty amazing claims about these antennas. However, I have also heard them referred to as dummy loads. What do you guys think? Would an Isotron for 160 be remotely woth the $$ and effort? If it probably wont work even as well as my attempt with the screwdriver then I better not buy one.

  Since at this point, relocation is not an option Im trying my other options HI.

  Steve, KC8QVO